Chanterelle Mushroom Tacos
Meaty chanterelles take center stage in these quick vegetarian tacos. The serrano chile packs a punch; use a milder pepper, like jalapeno, for less heat.
- Servings: 4
Source: Whole Living, May 2011
The Food Newsletter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 white onion, finely chopped
- 1 small serrano chile, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Fine-grain sea salt
- 12 ounces chanterelle wild mushrooms, thinly sliced (Click to order fresh golden chanterelles)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried Mexican oregano
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
Heat oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Saute onion, chile, garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon salt until onions are translucent, 2 to 4 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, over high heat, until mushrooms turn deep golden brown and release their liquid, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from heat and sprinkle with oregano. Adjust salt if necessary.
Toast tortillas over the flame of a gas burner, turning with tongs, until crisp and blackened in spots. (You can also char them in the broiler.) Divide mushroom mixture among tortillas and sprinkle with Parmesan.