THE ULTIMATE GRILLED VEGGIE SANDWICH
Author: Hip Foodie Mom
Recipe type: Main
- ¼ cup gochujang
- 1 to 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon butter for the skillet + more for spreading on your bread slices
- 4 slices bread, any kind (I used a multigrain bread)
- ½ cup freshly grated gruyere cheese; split
- 1 medium sized zucchini; sliced using a vegetable peeler
- 1 heaping cup portobello mushrooms; sautéed
- 1 heaping cup fresh baby spinach
- Dijon mustard (optional)
- Combine the gochujang, honey and sesame oil in a small bowl. Whisk together until well blended. Taste and adjust any ingredients as necessary. Set aside.
- Butter one slice of bread on both sides and set aside. Using a cast iron skillet or non-stick skillet, heat one tablespoon of butter in your skillet over medium heat. Let the butter melt completely and then lay your slice of buttered bread into the skillet and top with a ¼ cup of the grated gruyere cheese. Cover the skillet with a lid and let the cheese melt until it's almost entirely melted, for about 2-3 minutes.
- Lift the lid and top the melted cheese with the raw zucchini, sautéed mushrooms and baby spinach and cover again with the lid for just a minute or two. Butter one side of the second slice of bread and spread dijon mustard and the gochujang sauce on the other side. Place the bread, dijon mustard/gochujang sauce side down onto the baby spinach and flip your sandwich to begin toasting the other side. Flip a couple more times if desired until you have nice, golden brown toasty bread on both sides.
- Repeat everything for your second ultimate grilled veggie sandwich. Enjoy!