Organic Kamut® Khorasan Wheat Pasta - many noodle shapes availableBaia Pasta
Organic Kamut® Khorasan Wheat - many noodle shapes available
The name Kamut® is the registered trademark and brand name used to sell the grain variety khorasan. The word Kamut stems from the ancient hieroglyphic language meaning “wheat”. The grain differs from modern-day varieties because it has not been modified through modern breeding practices or genetic modification. Although not thought to have been in commercial production anywhere in the world in the recent past, most scientists believe it probably survived the years as an obscure grain kept alive by the diversity of crops common to small peasant farmers perhaps in Egypt or Asia Minor.
Any khorasan wheat that is sold under the “Kamut®” brand must meet the following specific qualifications:
- be grown only as a certified organic grain
- have a protein range of 12 – 18%
- be 99% free of contaminating varieties of modern wheat and free of all signs of disease
- contain between 400 and 1000 ppb of selenium
- not be used in products in which the name is deceptive or misleading as to the content percentage
- not be mixed with modern wheat in pasta
For most wheat-sensitive people, khorasan wheat can be an excellent substitute for common wheat.
Our Kamut® pasta is made with grain grown in Montana. It has a beautiful brown-golden color and a buttery, slightly sweet flavor that makes it perfect for every dish.