Grown-Up Tuna Melts Recipe
- 12 ounces solid white albacore tuna packed in water and drained
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise may wish to use more or less
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped banana pepper rings
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 8 slices tomato
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine tuna, mayonnaise, onion, celery, banana peppers and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Lay bread on baking sheet. Spoon and divide tuna mixture on the bread slices. Top each tuna melt with two slices of tomatoes and then 2 slices of provolone cheese.
- Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes, or until cheese is hot, bubbly, and starting to brown. Serve immediately.
Recipe Notes--You may wish to use more, or less, mayonnaise. I have actually found 1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons to be the amount our family likes best.
Want more recipes using canned tuna? I recommend the “200 Best Canned Fish and Seafood Recipes: For Tuna, Salmon, Shrimp, Crab, Clams, Oysters, Lobster and More” cookbook by Susan Sampson. It has 200 ways to transform the canned tuna and various seafoods into delicious dishes.