- 1 Recipe Melty Stretchy Gooey Vegan Nacho Cheese
- ½ Medium Onion
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 8 oz Mushrooms
- 1 Tablespoon Vegan Butter or Olive Oil
- ¼ teaspoon of Salt (optional)
- 6 Slices of Bread
- Vegan Butter for the Bread (optional)
- Prepare the Melty Stretchy Gooey Vegan Nacho Cheese as per instructions. This can be made ahead of time if you prefer.
- Slice the mushrooms, thinly slice the onions, and mince the garlic.
- Heat the vegan butter or olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for about 5 minutes until the onion becomes translucent and just begins to brown. Add in the mushrooms and garlic and continue to sauté until the mushrooms have decreased in size and browned up nicely. Remove from heat and set aside.
- When you are ready to make your sandwiches butter one side of each slice of bread. Spoon a nice helping of the mushroom and onion mixture onto one slice of bread (buttered side down), cover with the nacho cheese, and top with a remaining slice of bread (butter side up). Repeat with the remaining sandwiches. You can skip buttering the bread if you prefer.
- Heat a pan over medium heat, and grill each sandwich for a few minutes on each side, until golden brown. Serve while hot and gooey!
*For oil free option sauté the onions and mushrooms in water or broth.
*For a low sodium option reduce or completely leave out the salt.