The Cuban Sandwich Kit - Serves 4 - 6
Includes shaved ham, boston butt, Alpha Tolman alpine cheese, spices, pickles, and mustard.
Mojo Marinated Roasted Heritage Pork and Shaved Ham Cubano
Any pantheon of the world’s greatest sandwiches would include the Cubano (along with the Banh Mi from Vietnam; the Bacon, Egg, and Cheese from NYC; and the Jambon Beurre from France!), that is if you define a sandwich as two pieces of bread (not buns!) surrounding a meat.
The Cubano originated in Cuba but expatriates in Miami made the sandwich mainstream. There are however regional arguments for the sandwich’s origins in the U.S., including in Atlanta and Tampa, where salami is often included.
In the spirit of cross-cultural exchange, we are substituting the Cubano’s usual swiss cheese with Alpha Tolman, an Alpine cheese from our friends at Jasper Hill Farm in Vermont that is perfect for melting. We have also added our favorite cumin, oregano, mustard, and Rick’s Picks' The Peoples Pickles.
And of course, we substitute heritage breed meat for what is traditionally a cheaper staple. Our Boston Butts and shaved hams come from the very pasture raised heritage breeds that introduced the word “heritage” into the restaurant lexicon.
For bread we suggest a pan cubano from a Latin American bakery — a slightly sweeter and softer bread traditionally baked with lard. Alternatives that work well are 8-12 inch loaves of French or Italian bread, papo seco, or hoagie rolls.
This kit includes a recipe card and these ingredients:
- Shaved Ham, one 8 oz pack, maple sugar cured and shaved for ideal texture and versatility, 100% Berkshire, antibiotic free, and pasture raised
- Boston Butt, boneless, 3-4lb, supremely marbled heritage breeds like Berkshire, Tamworth, and Red Wattle have more fat and thus more flavor in each muscle, making truly the best Boston butts on the market
- The People's Pickles by Rick’s Picks, 1 jar, The People's Pickle is a chunky, garlicky slice with hints of coriander and dill. This pickle continues Rick's Picks' emphasis on health and wellness: it is all-natural and low sodium.
- Alpha Tolman Cheese by Jasper Hill Creamery, 6 oz, a deliciously nutty Alpine-style cheese is aged between 7 and 11 months in the Cellars at Jasper Hill
- Wilder Mustard, 1 jar, all natural, small batch mustard made in California by Wilder Condiments
- Wild Mountain Cumin by Burlap and Barrel, 1.5 oz jar, hand-picked in the Hindu Kush mountains of Afghanistan
- Fresh Dried Organic Oregano by Thanksgiving Farm, one .5 oz jar — cultivated on the rolling hills of New York’s Catskills Region under the direction of Chef Cesare Casella, the high altitude and arid conditions produce a strong and bold flavor common in Italian wild oregano.