Pulled Pork Cuban Sandwich
- 1 (8 inch) Cuban baguette or hoagie roll
- 1 to 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- Leftover Beer Braised Pulled Pork (click here for my recipe)
- 2 slices of ham. I used Virginia Baked Ham
- 2 slices of cheese. Swiss is traditional, but I used Fontina
- Homemade Bread and Butter Pickles (click here for my easy recipe that's ready in just 15 minutes!) or you can use your favorite store-bought pickles
- Yellow mustard
- Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Slice your bread in half. I used an 8" hoagie roll that I sliced in half horizontally and then vertically, to make 2 halves of a sandwich. Lightly butter the cut side of each piece of bread.
- Heat up the pulled pork in a microwave safe bowl or heat it in the skillet with a couple slices of ham. Keep the meat warm until ready to assemble the sandwich.
- Place the bread slices in the skillet, butter side down over medium heat. Place another heavy skillet on top and press down. This will flatten the bread and also help it to brown. It should be nicely browned within 30 seconds to a minute. Watch it to make sure it doesn't burn.
- Lightly butter the top side of each piece of bread and flip over in the skillet. Layer pulled pork, ham, pickles, and cheese slices on the top bread pieces. Spread a thin layer of mustard on the bottom bread pieces and place them on top of the sandwiches. Cover the sandwiches with a piece of parchment and place a heavy skillet on top, pressing down, until the cheese is nicely melted and the bread is lightly toasted. About 30 seconds to a minute. NOTE: I'm not giving amounts for this recipe. This is one of those recipes where you can pile on the ingredients as you see fit. Enjoy!
Prep Time: 10 mins.
Cook time: 2 mins.
Total time: 12 mins.