Sloppy Joe Macaroni and Cheese
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 25 minutes | Total time: 30 minutes
- 1 pound lean ground beef (or ground turkey)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3 teaspoons hot sauce (or to taste)
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 cups cooked (al dente) elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (or Velveeta cheese, cubed)
- Salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives, for garnish
- Heat a medium-size skillet on medium heat, and add the olive oil, onions and bell pepper.
- Stir and sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Add the ground beef, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Continue to stir as the ingredients are cooking, until the ground beef is thoroughly cooked.
- Add the ketchup and water.
- Stir together. Cover with a lid, and simmer on low heat until the mixture thickens (about 8 minutes).
- Transfer the sloppy Joe mixture to a medium-size bowl, and set aside for a moment.
- Heat the pan on medium heat, and add the cream, milk, cheddar cheese and mozzarella (or Velveeta cheese). Stir until the cheese is melted.
- Add the macaroni, and stir until the mixture thickens.
- Fold in the sloppy Joe mixture. Salt to taste.
- Serve while warm. Garnish with chives.