Fig and Bacon Grilled Cheese Sandwich (The Figgy Piggy)Dinner, then Dessert
(You save )
Fig and Bacon Grilled Cheese Sandwich (The Figgy Piggy)
Fig and Bacon Grilled Cheese, otherwise known as The Figgy Piggy is a grilled cheese sandwich with homemade fig spread, bleu cheese, provolone and thick cut bacon.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
Servings 4 sandwiches
- 8 slices Sara Lee® Artesano™ Bread
- 8 sliced Provolone Cheese
- 2 ounces bleu cheese
- 1/4 cup dried figs
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sugar , optional
- 8 sliced thick cut bacon , cooked
- 4 tablespoons butter , unsalted
- Add the figs to the water and either let sit overnight or microwave for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the figs and add them to a small food processor and add water as needed (I used 2 tablespoons) to make a spreadable puree.
- You can add sugar to the puree if you would like but with this savory grilled cheese I didn't.
- Spread the butter on one side of each of the 8 slices of Sara Lee® Artesano™ Bread.
- Butter side down on the cutting board add fig puree to four of the slices.
- Add the bleu cheese to the remaining four slices.
- Add a slice of provolone to each of the slices.
- Top four slices with bacon.
- Close the sandwiches, a bacon covered piece of Sara Lee® Artesano™ Bread with a non bacon covered piece.
- In a cast iron pan or griddle on medium high add the sandwiches and cook for 3-5 minutes on each side.