Earthy Quinoa with Mushrooms and Onions
An earthy, flavorful and filling quinoa salad.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 buillion cube
- 3 cups sliced cremini mushrooms – about 15 medium sized mushrooms.
- 6 to 8 scallions or 1 sweet onion – chopped
- 3 garlic cloves – minced
- 4 twists from a pepper mill.
- 1/3 cup (1 large handful of walnuts)
- 1/3 cup diced or crumbled feta
- 2 tbs minced parsley
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 lemon – squeezed
- Rinse and cook quinoa as per package instructions. It’s usually a ratio of 1 cup of dried quinoa to 2 cups of water. Add a buillion cube to the water.
- When quinoa is done – turn out on to a baking sheet to cool.
- Heat a sauté pan over high heat – add 1 tbs of olive oil and then the sliced mushrooms. Let brown.
- Once the mushrooms are brown, add scallions, garlic and pepper. Sauté, stirring for a minute or two until the scallions have wilted.
- Add sautéed mushroom mixture to a bowl to cool slightly.
- Add quinoa, walnuts, feta and minced parsley to mushroom mixture and toss.
- Whisk together 2 tbs olive oil and juice from half a lemon. Pour over quinoa and toss to combine.