CAULIFLOWER QUINOA BURGERS WITH MUSHROOMS AND ONIONS
Recipe type: Burger/sandwich
- I small head of cauliflower, chopped into very small pieces
- 6 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- Salt and pepper
- ¾ cup dry quinoa
- 1½ cups vegetable stock
- 2 tsp fresh parsley, minced
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 16-20 cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 large slices aged havarti cheese
- 5 burger buns
- Arugula and mayonnaise for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss the cauliflower in 2 Tbsp of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Spread out on the baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes or until browned and beginning to char. Let cool slightly
- Meanwhile, combine the quinoa and the veggie stock in a small saucepan with fitted lid. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 15 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed. Let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until starting to brown, about 4-5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and garlic, and saute until soft, about 6-8 minutes. Remove from skillet, set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the quinoa with the cauliflower. Add the parsley, thyme, and panko and stir or mix with your hands. Season very generously with salt and pepper to taste. Add the egg and mix until evenly combined. Form 5 round balls with your hands. Make sure to squeeze any moisture out of the balls and make sure that they are intact and holding together. If not, add a bit more panko. Carefully form patties out of the balls, keeping the mixture squeezed together.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in the same skillet over medium high heat. Add the burgers and cook until fully browned on the bottom, about 5 minutes. Carefully flip the burgers. Top the burgers with havarti, cover, and cook until browned and havarti is melted, about 5-8 minutes.
- To serve, place burger patties on the bottom burger buns. Evenly distribute mushroom mixture. Top with fresh arugula, mayonnaise or other toppings of your choice. Top with with burger bun tops.
Hands on time: 35 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Makes: 5 burgers