15 minPrep Time
3 hrCook Time
3 hr, 15 Total Time
- 2 -3 sweet potatoes (peeled and chopped). Turns out to be around 3 1/2 - 4 cups
- 3-4 cups broth (use less for more Chili texture)
- 1 lb ground lean pork, beef, chicken, or turkey (see notes for using precooked meat)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 14 oz diced canned tomatoes (drained) - you can use garlic or onion flavor canned if you like
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 1 1/2 - 2 cup chopped cauliflower (add as much or little as you'd like)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 chipotles in adobo, chopped, found on Spanish/Mexican foods aisle or, 1/2 cup to 2/3 cup hot chipotle salsa may be substituted
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- sea salt to taste
- 1/2 shallot (diced) or 1/4 cup red onion - optional
- herbs to garnish
- optional cheese topping
- First chop and peel your potatoes. Place in a microwave safe bowl and steam with 1 tbsp water in them for 90 seconds.
- Next add your ground meat to the crock pot with broth and oil. (*updated* other option is to brown meat beforehand so you do get as much grease in crock pot).
- Add your tomatoes, sweet potato, onion, cauliflower and mix all together.
- Finally, add your seasonings and chipotle peppers with sauce.
- Stir and cook on high for 3-4 hrs.
- Add your shallots the last hour if you adding them
- Add more paprika and or black pepper/sea salt when finished cooking if desired.
- Garnish with fresh herbs such as cilantro or basil works well too.