CARAMELIZED ONION HUMMUS
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 35 mins
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow or white onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons tahini (ground sesame seeds)
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- ¼ cup lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- dash of pepper
- 2 tablespoons water, as needed for desired consistency (I did not need to use any water)
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion slices to skillet and cook for about 25 minutes, stirring every couple of minutes.
- Meanwhile, add all other hummus ingredients (except water) to the bowl of a food processor and set aside until onion slices are ready.
- Once onion slices are caramelized, allow them to cool slightly. Then add them to the food processor bowl with the other hummus ingredients. (if desired, reserve a small amount of onions for garnishing hummus)
- Process ingredients until smooth. Add water as needed for desired consistency. (I didn't need any water for my hummus)
- Transfer hummus to a serving bowl and garnish with additional caramelized onion slices. Serve with pita chips and/or raw veggies or use as a spread for wraps and sandwiches.
Make your own pita chips by using several pitas or Flatout wraps. Cut the pitas or wraps with a pizza cutter into desired shapes. Spray or brush with olive oil. Sprinkle with garlic salt and Parmesan cheese, or other desired seasoning. Bake on a cookie sheet at 400 degrees F. for about 8-10 minutes. Check frequently as the chips burn easily.