Turkey Monte Cristo with Rosemary Aioli
Serves: 2 sandwiches
Prep time:15 mins
Cook time:15 mins
Total time:30 mins
- 8 strips cooked crisp bacon
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon garlic passed through a garlic press
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 slices thick white of Challah bread (sliced ¾ inch thick)
- 6 ounces sliced apple wood smoked Gruyere cheese (if unavailable, use regular Gruyere, Gouda or other strong Swiss cheese) sliced into four slices 1 ½ ounces each
- 8 ounces cooked, sliced turkey breast
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Cook bacon until crisp and set aside.
- Mix mayonnaise, garlic and rosemary to form an aioli and set aside.
- Mix eggs, milk and salt in a wide low bowl.
- To assemble, lay out four slices of bread and divide the rosemary aioli (mayonnaise and chopped rosemary) between the four slices. Place one slice of cheese on top of each of the slices. On two of the slices place 4 ounces each of the sliced turkey and place four slices of bacon on top of each sliced turkey half. Flip over other slice to form completed sandwich.
- Place sandwiches in egg batter and continue to soak and turn until all of the egg batter is absorbed into the bread, about 10-15 minutes.
- Heat a griddle to medium heat and melt butter until just starting to brown. Place the two sandwiches onto griddle and cover with top pan or cover. This will keep the heat in and cook the sides of the sandwiches. After a few minutes, check bottom for doneness and flip. Place cover back over sandwiches. Continue to cook until both sides are golden brown.
- Cut and serve.