Springtime Asparagus Pasta
Author: Marty Boyd
- 8 ounces baby bow tie pasta (or pasta of your choice)
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and cut into ¾-inch pieces
- 1½ cups skim milk
- 4 teaspoons whole-grain mustard
- 4 teaspoons flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to the package directions. Add asparagus during the last few minutes of the pasta cooking time. Continue cooking until the pasta and asparagus are just tender. Drain and return to saucepan.
- In a medium saucepan heat oil medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant and lightly browned, about 30 seconds, add flour. Cook and stir another minute or two. Whisk in the milk and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly, and cook until thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in mustard, tarragon, lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Stir the sauce into the pasta-asparagus mixture. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring, until the sauce coats the pasta, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in ¼ cup Parmesan. Divide the pasta among 4 bowls and top with the remaining ¼ cup Parmesan.