SPINACH AND BACON HASH BROWN QUICHE
Author: Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens
Recipe type: Savory
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (20 ounce) package refrigerated hash browns
- ½ cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 8 beaten eggs
- ½ cup dairy sour cream
- ½ cup half-and-half, light cream, or milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground white pepper
- Dash ground nutmeg (optional)
- 3 cups lightly packed chopped fresh spinach
- ⅔ cup shredded mozzarella cheese (about 3 ounces)
- ½ cup shredded Swiss cheese (2 ounces)
- Cherry tomatoes, cut up (optional)
- Begin by heating olive oil over medium high heat in a non-stick skillet.
- Add hash browns and continue to cook until tender and golden brown. Press hashbrowns into the bottom of a pie plate or skillet creating a crust.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook onion and bacon until onion is tender and bacon is crisp. Drain on paper towels.
- In a bowl stir together eggs, sour cream, half-and-half, salt, pepper, and, if desired, nutmeg. Stir in onion mixture, spinach, cheeses and tomatoes.
- Pour egg mixture into the hashbrown crust. Bake in the 325 degree F oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. If necessary, cover edge of crust with foil to prevent overbrowning. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. If desired, garnish with cherry tomatoes.