Spicy Vegetable Samosas
by: Eat Healthy Eat Happy
Recipe type: Vegan, Vegetarian
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp red or yellow curry powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp chili powder
- a scant ⅛ tsp - ¼ tsp red pepper flakes, depending on how hot and spicy you like your samosas (I go with a level ⅛ tsp, which is plenty hot for me)
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 1 medium carrot, chopped fine
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and finely diced
- 2 medium red bell peppers, diced
- optional - 1 or more red or green chili peppers to taste, seeded and chopped fine
- about 1 Tbs fresh ginger, grated (can substitute about ¼ tsp dried ground ginger)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup water
- about 1½ cups green peas, fresh or frozen and thawed
- 10 egg or spring roll wrappers (to make vegan, look in the freezer section of an Asian market for egg-free wrappers)
- Combine the oil and spices in a large nonstick skillet over medium low heat. Stir the spices around in the oil for about 2 minutes. Add the vegetables, raise the heat to medium and stir-fry for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the ginger, garlic powder and water. Cover the skillet and simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. You may need to turn the heat down a bit midway through the simmering. Stir in the peas and cook for a few more minutes until they're heated through. Take the skillet off the heat and let the samosa filling come to room temperature. You can speed this up by transferring the filling to another container.
- When you're ready to fill your samosas, position two racks in the middle of the oven and heat it to 375. Give two cookie sheets a pretty good coating of nonstick, and have a little container of water, a pastry brush and your wrappers ready.
- As you wrap the samosas, arrange them on the cookie sheets. You should be able to get 5 on each sheet without them overlapping. Thoroughly douse them with more nonstick spray to help them brown, then pop them into the oven for about 8 minutes. Get them out, turn them over to brown on the other side, and return them to the oven, switching rack positions, for another 8 minutes.
- You can eat them straight out of the oven, let them cool a bit first (which I like), or let them cool completely and then reheat them whenever you like. Reheat them at 350 for 5-8 minutes.
Serving size: 1 Calories: 183 Fat: 3.6g Carbohydrates: 23.9g Sodium: 195mg Fiber: 2.4gProtein: 2.5g Cholesterol: 3mg