Crave. Taste. Eat
Sausage Meatball SubsBaked by Rachel
YIELD: SERVES 4
PREP TIME: 5 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 15-20 MINUTES
TOTAL TIME: 25 MINUTES
Sausage Meatball Subs
Easy sausage meatballs add a spicy kick to a classic sub! A fun addition to any game day menu or enjoyed as a weeknight meal!
- 1lb hot Italian sausage
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1/4C grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2C seasoned breadcrumbs
- 24oz marinara sauce
- 4: 8-inch sub rolls
- Mozzarella slices
- Parmesan cheese, optional - for topping
- In a large bowl, combine ground sausage, salt, pepper, egg, Parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs. Mix well with your hands or a wooden spoon. Divide into 12 equal pieces, shaping into balls.
- Preheat broiler. Prepare 4 8-inch sub rolls. Create a well in the top of each roll, large enough to hold the meatballs. Be careful to not slice through to the bottom of the rolls.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Sear meatballs on all sides. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add marinara sauce. Cover and cook until meatballs are no longer pink in the center and internal temperature is 160°F.
- Add 2-3 slices of mozzarella to the cavity in each roll. Fill with meatballs and marinara sauce. Place on a baking sheet. Broil until cheese is fully melted and bread is lightly charred.
- Serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
*If desired, medium or sweet sausage may be substituted for the hot sausage
BAKED BY RACHEL ORIGINAL