PINEAPPLE & SMOKY BAKED TOFU PIZZA WITH SPICY BARBECUE HOPPIN SAUCE
Fluffy naan bread is topped with spicy hoisin barbecue sauce and juicy baked pineapple chunks in this flavor-packed little vegan pizza.
15 minPrep Time
40 minCook Time
55 minTotal Time
slightly adapted from ConnoisseuersVeg
Option: For the Smoky Baked Tofu
- 1/2 lb. extra firm tofu, drained and pressed at least 20 minutes
- 3 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp. maple syrup or agave
- 1 tsp. liquid smoke
For the Baked Pineapple
- 1 cup pineapple chunks (about 1/4 of a pineapple)
If store bought Spicy BBQ Sauce - 1 cup of Bbq sauce - We love to use Bare Foods Hoppin Sauce (Regular or Spicy) available to order at https://foodiecitynetwork.com/soppin-sauce/ and/or https://foodiecitynetwork.com/spicy-soppin-sauce/
Homemade option: For the Barbecue Sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup Bbq sauce - We love to use Bare Foods Hoppin Sauce (Regular or Spicy) available to order at https://foodiecitynetwork.com/soppin-sauce/
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. sriracha (or to taste)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
For the Naan Pizzas
- 2 naan loaves
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 2 tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
Make the Smoky Baked Tofu
- Slice tofu into squares with about 1 inch sides, about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.
- Stir soy sauce, vinegar, maple syrup or agave, and liquid smoke together in a shallow dish. Place tofu in dish and spoon mixture overtop to coat. Optionally, allow to marinate at room temperature for up to one hour (I skipped this step, so feel free to do so as well).
- Preheat oven to 400º. Line a baking sheet with parchmet and arrange tofu squares in a single layer on top. Bake abot 40 minutes, gently flipping and basting with any excess marinade about halfway through.
Prepare the Baked Pineapple
- Line a baking sheet with parchment and arrange pineapple chunks on top in a single layer. Bake until tender (oven should already be set to 400º), about 20 minutes. Optionally, brush with a bit of barbecue sauce, which should already be simmering on the stove (see next step), during the last.
Prepare the Hoisin Barbecue Sauce
- While tofu and pineapple bake, place all ingredients in small saucepan. Stir a few times to blend and bring to a simmer. Simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally for about 15 minutes.
Prepare the Naan Pizzas
- Optionally, place naan loaves into 400º and bake just until hot, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from oven and spread with hoisin barbecue sauce. Top with baked tofu, pineapple chunks, scallions and cilantro.
- Slice and serve.