Italian Meatballs in Butternut Squash Marinara
Slightly adapted from FitMeCook
Ingredients for 5 servings (10 meatballs & 5 red potatoes):
- 1.25 cup of Food of the Vine Organic Butternut Squash Marinara (click to order sauce)
- 20 oz lean ground chicken breast (or turkey breast)
- 3/4 cup feta crumble
- 1 cup finely chopped spinach
- 5 medium sized red potatoes
- Seasonings for meatballs:
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tablespoon fennel
- 1 teaspoon sage
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- spray coconut oil
- fresh cilantro
- Set the oven to 400F.
- After washing the red potatoes, place them on a baking sheet. Poke a few holes in them using a fork, then bake them in the oven for about 45 minutes, or until soft.
- In a bowl, mix together the ingredients for the meatballs.
- Form about 10 meatballs about the size of a golf ball.
- Spray a nonstick skillet with coconut oil and set on medium heat. Add the meatballs one by one. Allow the outer parts of the meatball to cook; remember to roll the meatballs around the pan so that all sides are cooked. Do not keep the heat too high because they may stick to the pan and some sides/parts will burn.
- TIP: Sear the meatballs on top and bottom and then place the entire skillet in the oven at broil temperature and cook for about 5 to 7 minutes. Before doing this ensure your skillet can withstand high heat.
- When the meatballs have nearly finished cooking, reduce the heat to low and pour in the homemade butternut squash marinara. Stir slowly with a spatula and ensure all the meatballs are covered in the sauce. You can cover the meatballs but it is not required. Cook for about 4 to 5 minutes, ensure the meatballs have finished cooking, then remove the skillet from the heat.
- Slice open a baked red potato and flake out part of the flesh using fork.
- Top each potato with two meatballs and drizzle a little butternut squash marinara on top.
- Garnish with cilantro (or green onions or chives).
Approximate macros for 1 of 5 servings:
395 calories, 40g protein, 43g carbs, 8g fat, 6g fiber, 5g sugar