Gluten Free Eggs Benedict on Polenta Cakes with Pesto Hollandaise
- 2 handfuls of basil leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 4-6 anchovy filets (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
For Hollandaise Sauce:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar (I use white balsamic vinegar)
- 2 “logs” of quick-cook polenta, preferably organic, sliced into 1/2-inch thick medallions
- butter, coconut oil, organic lard or tallow for frying
- 1-2 eggs per person, preferably organic eggs from pasture-raised hens
- white or red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
- finely chopped basil leaves for garnish (optional)
First set a medium stockpot of water over medium-high heat while you prepare the other ingredients. Keep the water simmering until you are ready to poach the eggs.
Place pesto ingredients in a food processor and pulse until smooth and pureed.
For the hollandaise sauce, melt the butter over low to medium heat just until it is like a hot bath temperature. Using a tall glass and immersion blender, or a regular stand blender, blend the egg yolks with the vinegar until the mixture is fluffy and the color pales. While blending, slowly add the warm butter as the mixture emulsifies and forms into a runny mayonnaise-like texture.
Gently fold the pesto into the hollandaise sauce, just until incorporated together. Season, as needed, with salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, fry the polenta medallions in the frying fat until they are golden on the outsides. Transfer the polenta cakes to a serving dish and season liberally with salt and pepper.
Finally, poach the eggs. Use a small dish to gently crack each egg into before poaching in the water. Add a few teaspoons of vinegar to the simmering water and use a spoon to create a whirlpool in the water. Add an egg to the circling water and let it sit in the water until the whites are stiff. Use a slotted spoon to gently transfer the poached egg to a separate serving dish while you repeat this process to poach the remaining eggs.
To assemble the dish, place the polenta cakes on a serving dish, then top with a generous dollop of pesto hollandaise sauce, a poached egg, a little more hollandaise sauce, then a little finely chopped basil as a garnish. Enjoy immediately!