Vodka & Biscuits
Eggplant & Ricotta Meatballs with Basilico SauceFCN
Eggplant & Ricotta Meatballs with Basilico Sauce
slightly adapted from ”Skinnytaste.com
Servings: 6 • Size: 4 meatballs • Points+: 7 pts • Smart Points: 8
Calories: 259 • Fat: 12 g • Protein: 9 g • Carb: 30 g • Fiber: 6 g • Sugar: 7 g
Sodium: 1180 mg • Cholesterol: 39 mg
- cooking spray
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/4 lbs unpeeled eggplant, cut into 1-inch pieces
- kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp chopped basil, plus leaves for garnish
- 1 1/2 cups Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 ounces Pecorino Romano cheese, freshly grated, plus more for serving
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 (16.8 ounce jars) Cucina & Amore Basilico Sauce
- part skim ricotta cheese, for serving (optional)
- you can also stuff the meatballs with ricotta cheese too! Our favorite!
Heat the oven to 375°F. Spray a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
Place 1/2 tablespoon olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. When hot add the eggplant and 1/4 cup water. Season with salt and pepper to taste and cook, stirring occasionally until tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to the bowl of a food processor and pulse a few times.
Transfer to a bowl and add bread crumbs, beaten egg, Romano cheese, parsley, garlic and chopped basil into the eggplant. Season with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/8 teaspoon of pepper.
Form the eggplant mixture into 24 balls about 1 1/8 oz each, rolling tightly and transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Bake until firm and browned, about 20 to 25 minutes.
Heat the sauce in a large deep skillet to warm the sauce. Add the meatballs to the sauce and simmer for 5 minutes. Garnish the meatballs with basil leaves and serve with ricotta cheese if desired.
Read more at http://www.skinnytaste.com/eggplant-meatballs/#HRfygq12u5Okak2Y.99