Deconstructed Egg and Cheese Sandwiches
2 slices of sourdough bread (sliced about 3/4-inch thick), toasted
1/2 cup grape tomatoes, chopped
1 cup fresh spinach leaves, chopped
2 lightly poached eggs
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
2. Place two 12-ounce ramekins onto a rimmed baking sheet.
3. To each ramekin, add a quarter of the bread, tomatoes, and spinach in layers.
4. Gently place a poached egg over the mixture, and sprinkle salt and pepper over the egg.
5. Add the remaining tomatoes, spinach, and bread on top of each egg, dividing equally between the two ramekins.
6. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of grated cheese over the mixture.
7. Lightly drizzle 1/4 cup cream over each ramekin, making sure to evenly distribute over the bread.
8. Let the ramekins sit for at least 15 minutes to allow the bread to soak up the cream.
9. Bake for 14-15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and lightly browned.
10. Let rest for about 5 minutes before serving.
Source: Adapted from Sur la Table.