Chicken Parmesan BurgersAndie Mitchell
- 1 pound 93% lean ground chicken breast (or ground turkey breast)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil (or 1 ½ teaspoons dried basil)
- 4 ounces (1 cup shredded) mozzarella cheese
- 1 ½ cups marinara sauce, homemade or store-bought
- beginning to soften. Add garlic, turn off the heat, and stir for 30 seconds. Remove to a small bowl and let cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine remaining burger ingredients (do not add the mozzarella cheese or marinara sauce). Add the cooled onion/pepper mixture and use your hands to mix well. Form 4 evenly sized patties.
- Preheat your oven’s broiler. Place the patties on a lightly greased baking pan and broil for 4-5 minutes per side, until the burgers are no longer pink in their centers.
- Remove the patties from the oven and cover each with a thin layer of marinara sauce, reserving the remaining sauce to spread on buns/rolls for serving. Next, divide the mozzarella cheese evenly among the patties. Return the pan under the broiler for about 1 minute—just long enough for the cheese to melt. Serve immediately on your choice of bread or sandwich buns with remaining marinara sauce if desired.
Nutrition Information & Notes:
Nutrition Information for 1 Chicken Patty with Marinara Sauce and Cheese: Calories 322, Fat 18g, Carb 11g, Fiber 3g, Sugars 6g, Protein 31g
Nutrition Information for 1 Chicken Patty, Plain (without marinara sauce or cheese): Calories 182, Fat 9g, Carb 3g, Fiber 1g, Sugars 1g, Protein 22g