Oysters on the half shell done NOLA style, filled with a lemony, garlicky, butter sauce that are topped with cheese and chargrilled until the cheese has melted and turned golden brown. (Serve with crusty bread to soak up all of that buttery saucy goodness!)
- 1 stick butter, room temperature or melted
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (~1/2 lemon)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup pecorino romano or parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
- salt, pepper and cayenne to taste
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 12 oysters on the half shell
- 1/2 cup pecorino romano or parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- Mix the butter, garlic, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, cheese, salt, pepper, cayenne and parsley and set aside.
- Place the oysters on a preheated 350F/180C grill, let cook until the juice start to bubble, spoon in ~1 tablespoon of the butter mixture onto each oyster, sprinkle on the cheese and cook until the cheese is golden brown.
- Sprinkle on the parsley and serve immediately with extra butter, lemon wedges, hot sauce and bread.
Note: If it's too cold to head outside and use the grill, broil them in your oven. Place the oysters on a baking sheet, spoon in a tablespoon of the butter mixture into each oyster, top with the cheese and bake in a preheated 400F oven until the juices start to bubble, about 5 minutes, turn the oven up to broil and broil until the cheese is golden brown, about 2-3 minutes. If you want the smoky char grilled flavour, feel free to add a few drops of liquid smoke to the butter mixture.