BROCCOLI CHEESE CORNBREAD
- 1½ cups steamed broccoli florets, roughly chopped
- 1 container [6.5 oz] light garlic-herb cheese spread [I used Alouette]
- 4 large eggs
- 1 stick [1/2 cup] butter, melted
- 1 small sweet onion, finely diced
- 2 cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 box [7.5 or 8.5 oz] cornbread mix [Martha White or Jiffy]
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp dry mustard
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and butter a 7 x 11 inch baking dish, then set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together, the steamed broccoli, garlic-herb cheese spread, 4 eggs, melted butter and finely diced onion until blended.
- Add 1 cup of cheddar cheese, cornbread mix and seasonings. Stir until combined.
- Pour into the prepared dish and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Place into the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes until golden and you see moist crumbs on a toothpick inserted into the center.
If you'd like to spice up the flavor, add 1-2 tsp. creole seasoning and a sprinkle of cayenne in place of the garlic and onion powder. You can also add 6-8 oz. cubed ham or cooked spicy sausage for a twist.