Cornbread Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
Author: Camille @ Growing Up Gabel
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in to cubes OR 2 cups cooked chicken in bite size pieces
- ¼ cup diced onions
- ⅓ cup butter
- 1 bag frozen mixed vegetables
- ⅓ cup flour
- ⅔ cup milk
- 1¼ cup chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 box cornbread mix prepared according to directions on box
- If cooking chicken: heat 2 Tablespoons of oil in a large pot. Add cubed chicken and season with salt and pepper. Cook until chicken is done, about 10 minutes. Drain chicken from the pot and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large pot on the stove over medium high heat. Add onions and cook for about 2 minutes. Add in bag of frozen vegetables and cook until warmed through and no longer frozen.
- Stir in flour and cook for 2 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Whisk in chicken broth about ½ cup at a time to avoid lumps. Once all the chicken broth is added, add in the milk and whisk to combine. Allow mixture cook for a few minutes to thicken. Stir in cooked chicken and cook for another minute or so until the entire mixture is hot. Remove from heat.
- Pour the mixture in to a 9 x 9 square baking pan orany baking dish similar in size.
- Top the mixture with the prepared cornbread mix, smoothing the mix out to cover the top of the pie.
- Bake according to the directions on the cornbread mix. My mix said to bake at 400 degrees for 22-26 minutes. Make sure to bake long enough so that the bottom of the cornbread bakes through.
- Once the bread is done, remove from oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving.